Some of comic book icon John Byrne’s best work of the last few years happens to involve the original Star Trek universe created by Gene Roddenberry and IDW has put out a collection that gathers together all of the work he created for the franchise into a single handsomely-designed volume. It’s a 320 page hardcover that features the following: Assignment: Earth (catching us up with Gary Seven); Crew, featuring Number One helping rescue the Enterprise during its shake down cruise; Leonard McCoy: Frontier Doctor, letting readers get a glimpse of what happened before Star Trek: The Motion Picture and a spotlight on the Romulans, Pawns of War.
You can pick it up on Amazon or at a local comics retailer, but we like the cut of this book’s gib so much that we’re going to give away a copy with the help of IDW Publishing.
Want a shot at it? The rules are pretty, pretty straightforward.
• Reblog this post before 6:00PM EDT on Monday, May 27th.
• You must be following both They Boldly Went and the IDW Tumblr to qualify.
That’s it! Follow two Tumblrs and reblog and you’re in it to win it! You can do that, right? Right.
We’ll announce a winner on Wednesday, May 29th. Good night and good luck!
‘Where’s Captain Kirk?’ by Spizzenergi is my new jam.
Commodore VIC-20 ad with William Shatner (by morrisonAV)
I’m being pandered to, and I can live with that.
Two things to know about Canada!
- We are smart enough to know hot things should be hot.
- We are sorry if you don’t
A few things you need to know about this hot coffee case:
- It wasn’t an issue of the coffee being because no fucking shit coffee is hot, but McDonald’s had over heated their water to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. That’s 121C. Not just hot, but really FUCKING hot. Your fancy Starbucks lattes are brewed to 150 degrees.
- The 79 year old woman had this cup of 250F (121C) coffee between her legs when it spilled so 250F (121C) coffee spilled on her genitals
- She got third degree burns…on her genitals. THIRD DEGREE.
- She had to have skin grafts to repair the damage
- When she sued McDonald’s, it wasn’t for millions of dollars, it was for $20,000 to cover hospital costs and court fees. 20-fucking-thousand.
- It was the courts that awarded her the amount of money she got. Again, she only wanted hospital bills and court costs
- McDonald’s changed their heating policy, but not before making her sign a gag order keeping her from talking about this case
- So she had to live on hearing little shits like you call her stupid and money-grubbing, and other horrendous stuff because she dared ask the company in the wrong to fix what they fucked up.
if anybody ever tries to pull this shit, make them google the pictures of her injuries right then and there
Also, if a policy was changed due to someone’s injury, and you’re making light of that, you’re just being condescending a f.
ETA: I also want to point out that the coffee wasn’t just ridiculously hot.
What really damned McDonalds was a company memo that showed they had done research and found that if they heated their coffee to that ungodly temperature they would sell more of it. The memo also acknowledged the fact that some customers would probably be injured if they sold coffee that hot but that the increased revenue it would provide outweighed the liability.
And that is why she was awarded so much money. Because the court found evidence that McDonalds knew their product could injure people and they went ahead with it anyway, knowing that if they were sued it would still be worth it.
Also, she was not the only one injured, there were several hundred other people who suffered serious burns before her, and McDonald’s still refused to change the policy. It’s not just that profit outweighed the possibility of people being hurt; it outweighed the actual fact of people being injured.
I can’t think of too many ignorant positions I have less time for than the “SOME LADY SUED MCDONALDS BECAUSE THE COFFEE WAS HOT” bullshit I hear over and over and over again from dumb fucks who, by all rights, should be too stupid to breathe.
‘Award Tour’ by A Tribe Called Quest is my new jam.